Saturn never bothered hiring a PR company, nor is he impressed with social media, selfies, marketing schemes or even trying to present himself in an appealing way. Why should he? We will always feel, know, see, hear, and be aware of his bidding anyhow. He is the Lord Karma, the Sphere of Understanding in the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. Kapish? I have a theory, Lord Karma was born 1 planck time (shortest possible unit of time) after the Big Bang. Karma = Action (Kaboom) and Reaction (Creation). We were all born out of a violent act of explosion and since a Big Bang does constitute as mega action, life itself is the uber reaction. And so Saturn, which also is Lord Time, was the first concept or god created after the Big Bang. That is why the archetype represented by Saturn is so ancient, powerful and challenging.
Since the end of 2017, Saturn joined his son Pluto in Capricorn, the sign he rules and have been teaching us harsh lessons. Collectively as well as individually we had to deal with our denials. Capricorn is an earth sign that specializes in survival. Whatever might challenge the status-quo must be buried deep in the earth or even deeper in the collective-subconscious, as in denial. Capricorn is very conservative, traditional, reveres the past, and rather ignore anything that could impede upon the way things are now. We are using coal, natural gas, oil, fine, don’t shake the boat. Keep things as they are. When Saturn is in Capricorn it brings the Devil in us, the fear of survival, the terror of the immigrant or the stranger. Populism and nationalism took over the planet, a tsunami that engulfed India, US, South America, and Europe. Denial of climate change or viruses became the norm. Just a few days ago Turkmenistan banned the word “coronavirus” and anyone wearing masks can be arrested. That is one way of battling the pandemic. But don’t feel sorry for the people in Central Asia for being led by a flamboyant irresponsible leader. Not that long ago, leaders in the U.S. called the virus “a hoax.”
The tension between while Saturn moves on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius manifests as the conflict between politicians (Capricorn) with limited education and abundant agenda dismissing scientists (Aquarius) sounding the alarm. Well, now as Saturn moves into Aquarius, hopefully, things will start changing. Aquarius is associated with innovation, technology, science, globalization, fraternity of humankind, world wide collaborations, and return to reason.
Laboratories around the world are locked in an arm-race against a virus who uses our cells as factories of reproduction. And now around the world, factories are asked to double their efforts just as they did in WWII and WWI to produce ventilators, vaccines, and medical supplies. Oil prices are going down (Capricorn) and we can expect biotechnology, technology, AI, innovation (Aquarius) companies to rally upward. Saturn is the old ruler of Aquarius (before the discovery of Uranus in 1781). For this reason, Saturn feels good in Aquarius, he can ground the “Mad Professor,” archetype and translate ideas, patents, innovations and new discoveries into concrete applicable uses.
We can all feel the winds of Saturn blowing through Aquarius. Aquarius, as we saw, is the sign of innovation. The last time Saturn was in Aquarius, the internet was made public domain and the World Wide Web was born. And now, as Saturn returns to Aquarius, many of us rely on the web to work from home, kids and university students can continue their education and food can be delivered because of Saturn in Aquarius gift of the internet. Perhaps now as Saturn is back in Aquarius, a new invention, just as monumental as the internet, will aid us in 30 years to overcome a different challenge. As you can see, Saturn, the Lord Karma, brings about challenges but also whisks out of us ingenious solutions.
Think about it. For the last 15 years studies around the world have shown beyond doubt that working from home improves productivity. But hey, its not cool to listen to geeks, right? There are many reasons why working from home increases productivity. For one, sitting in traffic to and from work is a waste of time, gasoline, and causes anxiety and reduced creativity. In addition, as the market is turning more and more global (the trend will continue in the Age of Aquarius), one needs to be able to work with different time zones. That can be achieved better when you work from your home. In the morning you can call your clients in NY, then take a siesta before the kids show up, and late at night work a few more hours with colleagues in Beijing. Working from home will change how companies and corporations are structured, which is exactly what Saturn in Aquarius means.
Aquarius is also associated with governments, in the next few years you can expect a great deal of change in leadership around the world. Just a reminder, the last two Saturn in Aquarius saw Bill Clinton and John F. Kennedy in the White House. The famous quote from Jackie Kennedy described very well what Saturn in Aquarius can mean:
There’ll be great presidents again — but there’ll never be a Camelot again.
With all due respect, I disagree, there could be a “Camelot” again, as long as Saturn returns to Aquarius and we make the right choices….
On a personal level, Saturn in Aquarius might change your “tribe,” your gang, your affiliation to clubs, organizations, and groups of friends. Some old friends might drift away while new ones will replace them. Below you will find how Saturn in Aquarius manifests in the different signs. Also, remember, from Dec 21, Jupiter, the planet of expansions and opportunities will join Saturn in Aquarius for the first time in hundreds of years, which will make things work better.
A Look Back
There is no practice of astrology without the study of history, as both disciplines examine cycles. Saturn returns and history repeats herself. Let’s take a look at the last few times Saturn flew through the blue skies of Aquarius.
Just a word of warning. The last time Saturn will return to constrictive Capricorn is between July 1, 2020 and Dec 17, 2020. Saturn was also in Capricorn (three cycles ago) when the Great Depression took place. In Addition, Uranus (co-ruler of Aquarius) is now in Taurus (Finance), and the last time that transit happened was also during the Depression. We have to do our best to focus on ingenuity, innovation, and sharing data, wisdom, resources and patents to make sure the world does not sink again into a deep depression. I do believe it is up to us and our representatives to avoid such an outcome.
Jan 1962 – March 1964 & Sep 1964 – Dec 1964
- AT&T’s Telstar, the first commercial communication satellite is launched. Aquarius is the sign of the water-bearer and many mistake Aquarius for a water sign. Aquarius is an air sign and what they hold in their bucket is not water but electromagnetic waves. In other words, Aquarius is an antenna, wi-fi, data.
- While Saturn is in Aquarius, the term “personal computer”, is coined and used for the first time by computing pioneer John Mauchly.
- Aquarius’ tarot card is the “Star.” Aquarius is co-ruled along with Saturn by Uranus, the god of the sky. During Saturn in Aquarius JFK, at a speech at Rice University, promises the U.S. will put a human on the moon by the end of the decade. A prophecy that was indeed fulfilled. Connected but in a different way, during Saturn in Aquarius ABC releases one of my favorite TV shows, the animated sitcom “The Jetsons.”
- Nelson Mandela is arrested in South Africa, charged with inciting workers’ strikes. in the next Saturn in Aquarius (1991) he became the 11th President of the African National Congress. Aquarius is democracy and freedom.
- In Music, the flower power revolution begun with both Dylan and the Beatles releasing their debut album.
- Dr. Robert Moog demonstrates the prototype Moog synthesizer revolutionizing and giving birth to electronic (Aquarius) music.
- In 1962, Steve Russell at the MIT invented Spacewar! The first video game that could be played on multiple computer installations.
- The Second Vatican Council of Pope John XXIII took place during Saturn in Aquarius and revolutionized the way the Catholic Church deals with the modern world to the dismay of many conservatives. Among the changes: the altar was turned around to face the people. Mass was changed to be conducted in the local language and not in Latin as it was for almost 2000 years and women no longer had to cover their hair in church.
- Cuban Missile Crisis and the world was close to a nuclear annihilation. Kind of creepy, but I guess we have to take heed. In addition the Sino-Indian War between India and China, obviously.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Delivers his “I Have a Dream” speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in front of a 1/4 million demonstrators. It was a defining moment in the Civil Right Movement.
- JFK is assassinated in Dallas, TX.
Feb 1991 – May 1993 July 1993 – Jan 1994
- Change of government structures and movement towards democracy: the Soviet Union Falls. Leningrad returns its former name: St Petersburg. KGB stops operation. The end of the Cold War.
- New world order with countries such as Georgia, Latvia, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Estonia, Azerbijan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan Ukraine, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, to name a few, declaring independence. Yugoslavia collapses.
- The European Economic Community eliminates trade barriers and creates a European single market.
- Apartheid ends in South Africa
- Bosnian wars begin which will end up killing over 100,000 people.
- Los Angeles riots which lasted close to a week resulting in 63 deaths and over $1 billion in damages.
- The World Health Organization declares tuberculosis, another lung disease, a global emergency.
- CERN introduced the World Wide Web and in 1992, the first audio and video files are distributed over the Internet as well as the all familiar phrase “surfing the Internet” is used. On 30 April 1993, CERN put the World Wide Web software in the public domain.
- Global Position System (GPS) is invented by U.S. Department of Defence.
- Bill Clinton elected as president while Hillary Clinton presents a healthcare plan which is defeated. I wonder is that was a missed opportunity that could have saved many lives today.
- Bill Clinton signs into law NAFTA North American Free Trade Agreement.
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is adopted in New York. One of the earliest global acknowledgment that the earth is suffering.
- Pope John Paul II issues an apology and lifts the edict of the Inquisition against Galileo Galilei who was himself an Aquarius and an astrologer. For the church to admit a former pope made an error is a big deal. According to the dogma of Papal Infallibility, the pope can never be wrong. Together with the Second Vatican Council that happened in the last cycle of Saturn in Aquarius, we can expect the current Pope to come with some new set of reforms as well.
Saturn in the Zodiac Signs
Aries: Focus on friendships, allow changes in your company, companies, and clubs. Some of your dreams and aspirations will change in order to become more concrete and practical. You must find the flock you are to shepherd.
Taurus: Focus on your career and how you deal with figures of authority. There could be extra responsibility or some challenges with a father figure or a boss. It might be time to change your career so it better fits who you currently are.
Gemini: Focus on education, mass media, working with multi-national corporations, publishing and teaching. A wonderful time to study or learn a new language or skill. Some issues with in-laws. Pay attention to lawsuits or court issues.
Cancer: Focus on change. Allow the old to die and resurrect something new. You are the sign of caretakers and you are dealing with the collective death that is taking place on the planet. Focus on intimacy, sexuality and find your passion. The healer in your will become prominent.
Leo: Focus on partnerships in life and work. It is a time to learn how to compromise, collaborate and engage in diplomacy. Many of you will separate and many will find a partner. There is also a newfound talent in design, art, and a new way to balance yourself.
Virgo: Focus on your health, diet, work, routine and service. But those are the things that Virgo are known for! Yes, you are asked to be yourself and be the cosmic healer that you are. Find how you can serve the world and the world will serve you in return.
Libra: Focus on your children or creativity. This is a time to find love, happiness, and a new way to connect to joy. A hobby can become more than just recreational. It is also a time to find a new source of spirituality, a new spring of creativity.
Scorpio: Focus on your home, family, and your dwelling place. There could be some extra responsibility with a mother figure or a member of the family. It is a time to change homes or consider pregnancy.
Sagittarius: Focus on communication, writing, and creating your infra-structure of connections. What is your message and who do you want to spread it? Focus on your business and your trade. There could be some responsibility towards relatives.
Capricorn: Focus on finance, your talents and self-worth. It is a time to change your values and make sure your income reflects your newfound sense of self. It was a rough time for you the last few years but Saturn leaving your sign should help elevate some of the challenges.
Aquarius: This is your time to focus on yourself, your body, and your image. You are rebranding yourself. From the end of the year, when Jupiter joins Saturn in your sign, you will feel better. It is a time for manifesting your full potential and achieving your goals through hard work, discipline and endurance.
Pisces: Focus on the things that make you who you are: imagination, faith, synchronicities, movement, dance, meditation. You might unearth abilities from past lives. Your dreams, spirituality, mystical and psychic abilities will grow. You will find yourself more sensitive than normal but take heed from addictions and losing boundaries.
Revolutions, change in leadership, modernizing old structures, change in companies, innovations, patents made useful. Remember how some leaders around the world tried to put a price tag on human life? Saying that the cure can be worse than the disease? That is very Saturn in Capricorn: practical to the point of being inhumane. Saturn in Aquarius is the opposite. It values humanity, and the collective. Saturn in the Water-Bearer sign is about finding innovative solution to a problem, not denying its existence, or claiming it does not need a cure since it might be expensive. Yes, Aquarius is idealistic, it has many dreams – of unity, of a world-wide-web, of people with different colored skin working together, and of sending a human to walk on the moon. Saturn in Capricorn showed us what is wrong in our system, now Saturn in Aquarius, the contractor, the fixer, can mend it.
I wish you a healthy, safe, and magical time.